Sunday, July 19, 2009

Saying Goodbye

We live on borrowed time - How are you using yours? What would your family, friends, neighbours and colleagues say about you at your funeral? How would they remember you?

Heavy questions aren't they? As I sat at the funeral service of a friend who is also a friend's husband and my brother's very close friend those questions crossed my mind. Ganyani was a man so full of life and seeing him lying so still and lifeless made my body shake involuntarily and it just broke my heart. I cannot even begin to imagine how his wife is feeling. I cannot begin to imagine how his family and very close friends are feeling. The sad reality is that death is imminent and we don't know how and/or when we are going to go. If we did, I'm sure we'd say goodbye even though saying goodbye is hard.

When someone I haven't spoken to in a while crosses my mind, I will pick up the phone and call him or her. If it has to wait I'll set a reminder to do it later. I will try my best to use the borrowed time wisely. To not let things left unsaid. I am sure that tomorrow will come because I'm alive and I'm hopeful but I will try my very best to tell and show the people I love and care about how I feel when I and them are still on this earth.

Don't put things off till tomorrow if you can do them today...I think I'm starting to get it; life is short. (it's a pity that the end of a great life had to be my reminder). RIP Ganyani, you are sorely missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment